Project: 2017-2019 - Medicines Sans Frontiers (MSF) Community Boreholes
- Project Location: Harare, Zimbabwe
- Areas: Budiriro, Kuwadzana, Glen View, Stoneridge,Mufakose, Hatcliffe
- Project Funded By: Medicines Sans Frontiers
- Solar Equipment Used: Grundfos Solar Water Pump, Suntech Solar Panels, Midnite Voltage Protection
- Project Duration: 2017-2019
The Solar Shack has successfully implemented an excess of 30 mini Piped Water Schemes (PWS) for MSF in and around greater Harare. The mini PWS are to ensure that individuals in densely populated areas have access to clean portable water that is chlorinated to kills any water borne germs or diseases.
This project also included the decommissioning of bush pumps which were replaced by Grundfos solar water pumping systems. All water points were equipped with chlorinators to disinfect water and had a minimum of 10 tapes from which to draw water from.
To ensure the sustainability of this project the beneficiaries of the mini PWS formed clubs that are headed by a Chairperson who collects funds from the community to ensure that the schemes are always up and running.